Sunday 22 June 2014

What I ate to lose 22 pounds in 3 months

"Weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise".



 True! With weight loss I learned it's eating more of the right food and less of the bad. You don't need to cut out any food group, I didn't. 

Here is what my daily meals looked like on average. I had about 3-5 small ones instead of 3 large meals to keep my metabolism active meaning faster weight loss! I also ate carb based meals earlier on in the day so I would use up the energy it gave rather than at 8pm when I'm just chilling at home doing nothing. Carbs get stored as fat if you don't use up the energy.

Breakfast: Chocolate & orange oat pancakes
Lunch:  Boiled sweet potatoes with turkey & veg


















Dinner: Fresh mackerel salad with greek yogurt as dressing
Snack: Green smoothie and walnuts

What to eat?

  • Complex Carbohydrates (Carbs in wholegrain form, they take longer to be broken down resulting in more energy) Eg. brown rice, pasta, bread, sweet potatoes and beans.)
  • Lean Protein, chicken, fish, egg, greek yogurt. These worked so well with exercise because they helped my muscles to grow and repair! 
  • Vegetables, I ate kale, spinach, carrots, beetroot, lettuce, asparagus etc. They're high in protein and fibre which will help a lot when working out. The darker the vegetable the better! I ate steamed or boiled veg. 
  • Fresh/frozen fruits, they made the perfect snack. Dried fruits don't have as much nutrition though. I ate oranges, apples, berries, bananas, grapes, pineapples, mangoes etc. Fruits have low energy-dense levels meaning high nutritional value with low calories!
  • I drank a lot of water & green tea. I haven't had a fizzy drink since March. 

What to eat less of?

  • White carbs/ processed carbs, they strip away beneficial fibre.
  • Crisps, chocolate, cakes, sweets and fried foods they have little/no nutritional value.
  • Packaged foods eg ready meals. They have a lot of unnecessary additives and preservatives that probably do more harm than good. 


"What we eat in private we wear in public" 
                                                                            - Jen's health



No comments:

Post a Comment