Hey guys, so if you follow me on Instagram (@jennoshealth) you would know that I've been trying out homemade nut milks. This quick recipe is for those who have nut allergies or are simply seeking a cheaper healthier milk alternative.
- Soak 1 cup of oats in water for 2 hours or overnight.
- Place into blender and add 3 cups of water. Use either a vanilla bean, honey, maple syrup, stevia, dates to sweeten.
- Blend for a minute then strain using a nut milk bag, muslin cloth or sieve.
- Pour into a glass jar and refrigerate. It lasts about 4-5 days.
Health Benefits of Oat Milk
- Oats are a complex carbohydrate so they provide a slow release of energy throughout the day keeping you fuller for longer.
- They are extremely low in fat. One serving contains 2.5 grams of fat whereas cow's milk has 8 grams.
- 1 cup of oat milk is composed of 36% of our (R.D.A) Recommended Daily Allowance for calcium whereas cow's milk has 28%.
- Oat milk contains 10% of our R.D.A for vitamin A, twice as much as cow's milk.
- For those suffering from anemia 1 serving of oat milk gives 10% of our R.D.A for iron.
Have you ever tried dairy free milk? Will you be trying out this simple recipe?